The aspiring web developer of yesteryear would:
- overload the web page with lots of colors and pictures
- writeup uninteresting text (possibly ALL IN CAPS) that only a few people would care about or understand
- put some copyrighted MIDI music playing in the background
- provide enough personal information that someone could either stalk or steal the identity of the web developer
- create a “guest book” so visitors could read / write comments to know / say how great the web developer was
- provide a virtual “shout-out” to their friends by having links from their home page to their friend’s – after all, there is no harm inferring that you have lots of friends
At some point the aspiring web developer would place a web counter on their home page as a way to revel in their own successes – bonus if the counter didn’t track unique visits.